Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My review (inclduing bug report)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Miscellaneous
Previous topic :: Next topic  
currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 27 May - 05:27 (2016)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report) Reply with quote

(as posted in Touch Arcade and Pocket Tactics forums)

Curry: Inevitably, review... Smile

Mutton: If you can't stand this format, please go outside, take a deep breath and come back and read

Curry: I cannot say for Android, irrc, digital implementation of old-school naval wargames like CB4G is rather rare. If anyone finds something close, please let me know.

Mutton: The game is about naval battles taken place in Pacific year 1942 (with one in 1943), which marks the new ear of dominance of air power in naval battles. Before that, sea battles were mostly engaged using big guns where ships of each side could see each other.

Curry: The game covers all the major battles taken place around the area around Eastern New Guinea to the Guadalcanal, starting with Battle of the Coral Sea which most consider this as the first real air-naval battle in history.

Mutton: ...and the "bonus" scenario for Battle of Midway...yeah!

Curry: This game appeals for all who wish to play naval commanders re-enacting tactical naval battles, not limited to WW2. The game is complex but automation frees the player from all the underlying, tedious micro-management, focusing on making the tactical decisions instead.

Mutton: The developer has the mindset of broadening the appeal, so when you first start the game, it forces you going through a step-by-step tutorial. Each tutorial topic focuses on one particular element of the game. Another great arrangement is that you can practice in tutorial battles.

Curry: And when you have done the tutorials, you can go into the big world of actually battles. There are six historical scenarios. For now, you can only play as US against the AI playing Japan.

Mutton: Each scenario is provided with historical backgrounds plus scenario notes. Another nice touch is that the starting position for Japanese is varied and so is the size of forces available. The makes the game less repetitive.

Curry: Another thing the developer adjusts is the length of the battle: most actual battles featured lasted over a week but the game reduced them to 3 days.

Mutton: It is understandable and does not affect the enjoyment of game: nobody really wants to sit there, waiting for enemy to appear with nothing much to do for a couple of game "days".

Curry: The heart of the game is air battle. You assign planes from airbase, or from aircraft carriers if they are available, to different missions: Combat Air Patrol (CAP) is defending friendly airbase/carrier against any air attacks. Search is locating enemy ships, this is important because the enemy ships are hidden by default.

Mutton: and there is a term for that "fog of war"

Curry: And even if you spot the presence, the details of the enemy ships are not immediately reveal to you. If you keep on "spotting", you grain more details about what the enemy force is made up of: how many ships are there? What classes are there? and so on

Mutton: Of course the last mission type is air strikes. Each airbase or carriers can prepare for strikes at 2 different targets the same time.

Curry: All the operations are done by drag-and-drop and buttons. And the UI is very clean and consistent, with major option buttons on the left and command buttons at the button. The buttons are responsive too.

Mutton: Thank goodness it was not Tiler...

Curry: As for the AI, it is very good, it knows how to use night cover to do landing when your air power is absent, and re-arrange its carriers to do multiple-axis strike.

Mutton: ah, what Curry means making air strikes coming from more than one direction and at different time so the attacker can get tactical first strike advantages

Curry: And move damaged ship away from your attack. Timing your attack is crucial: an carrier is most vulnerable when its flight deck is arming airplanes. A hit on the deck cause major fire and explosion and the game reflects this

Mutton: As in Battle of Midway historically. Oh, please bear in mind the AI does not make the same mistakes as its historical counterpart!

Curry: I run this on my iPad Mini 2 with latest iOS and it is very smooth

Mutton: except there was once a hangup after submitted the turn and another time, a crash to Spring Board

Curry: I also find a bug, in one game, my search plane suddenly changed from a US diver bomber icon to a Japanese dive bomber icon. It landed later back to my carrier and later participated an attack on Japanese ship...

Mutton: The game also seems to either skipping/abstract the effects of cloud cover, "localized" foul weather. Not to mention omitting entirely New Caledonia base which is as important as bases in mainland Australia during that period

Curry: I can't help but thinking Carriers At War was flashier and gives you more control over damage control, which is automated here.

Mutton: I recall you yelling and leaning over the chair, back then, while watching the bombs and torpedoes running towards a ship...

Curry: I think most people will complain about the lack of ability to play the Japanese side.

Mutton: And single player only.

Curry: But the developer says the above are noted and may be present in the future updates.

Mutton: To sum up: CB4G captures the feeling and the essence of board wargaming. The presentation is minimal and very well done. Timing plays critical factor to winning the game which may not be aware by the player at first.

Curry: That's it! Thanks for reading.

Mutton: Over and out!

(Edit
Curry: One more thing! If you are learning the rope, try the "Bismark Sea" scenario first, the only 1943 one. Not only it is easy to manage with fewer units to deal with, the US force has superiority over the Japanese forces making it easy to win

Mutton: should have use Allied instead of US, right?
)

Publicité

PostPosted: Fri 27 May - 05:27 (2016)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Fri 27 May - 15:00 (2016)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report) Reply with quote

Excellent 
But are you one to two actually ?  Very Happy

currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 29 May - 14:02 (2016)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report) Reply with quote

I am born under the sign Gemini, you can assume there is one... Smile

BTW, please find time to visit the Touch Arcade Forum, there are quite some discussions over there:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=288086
Bladerunner wrote:

Excellent 
But are you one to two actually ?  Very Happy

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 29 May - 20:05 (2016)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report) Reply with quote

Laughing
I have seen the thread, the discussions are very interesting
I will try to jump in once I will get some free time (busy with iPad2 issues right now)

CapitalJ

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun - 09:17 (2016)    Post subject: Interested in making a review about your game Reply with quote

Hello Cyril,

Kudos on the game! 

We in iosstrategygames.com would like to write a review about your game Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal on our website http://www.iosstrategygames.com/.

To be able to make a review we would like to ask for a promo code to get your game at a cheaper price. 

We will be promoting the review through our Facebook Page and Twitter as well as on our other social media networks.

Thank you. I hope to receive your positive response.

Best,

CapitalJ

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun - 10:55 (2016)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report) Reply with quote

Your welcome  Very Happy
I will get in touch through mp or email with promo code very shortly

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 04:34 (2017)    Post subject: My review (inclduing bug report)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation