Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Done] Search pattern (v1.2)
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 09:26 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

A suggesiton from Doug

Quote:

I love your game, as an old war gamer, since 1966. Reminds me of the old Carriers at War computer game.

I have a suggestion for air searching. Instead of searching a 360 degree arc, could you have the player/AI choose one or two or three 120 degree arcs? The less search arcs chosen, the greater the chance of finding targets. The risk is that you could miss ships, but that is a chance you take.

Advantages
The angle being smaller, the aircraft density is higher, so is the chance to find something
Perfect if you know approximately where to search (ex: search only 180° eastwards of Midway)

Constraints
Today, all your search planes are doing a 360 degrees search
With this feature, there should be a way to set a different arc for different group of search units. To be decided at launch time
This will have an impact on the interface and the search formula

Possible solution
Use 2 search boxes
For each of them, it is possible to define an arc of say 60, 120 or 180° with a start direction. To be decided before any planes is launched
On the map, no more plain circles around carriers or airfield, as it would be  combination of both search boxes strategies
The Japanese AI will probably sticks to 360° to keep things simple
No change for seaplanes, still 360

So, I would say this is very interesting and Medium complexity so a good candidate for 1.x version of people wants this

Additionally, the maximum search ranges (ex: 6 hexes)could be also set so that search planes do not return too late and are able to fly a second mission 

Last edited by Bladerunner on Sat 16 Jul - 14:06 (2016); edited 3 times in total
Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 09:26 (2016)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
valent

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 12:06 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

it's a good idea but:
is it possible to have different kinds of difficulty (paramétrage de la difficulté dans le jeu) because it seems for me that  the game is a little bit hard. Merci

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 13:22 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

VALENT wrote:

it's a good idea but:
is it possible to have different kinds of difficulty (paramétrage de la difficulté dans le jeu) because it seems for me that  the game is a little bit hard. Merci

I feel it could be achieved with what-ifs, having more CV's at start for instance (ex: Saratoga not damaged by Japanese sub)
Also start with Bismarck Sea or Midway which are the easiest

currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 14:56 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Pre-defined search arc is a very nice addition, but since seaplane are not visible, it may create a problem for such search type.

And also, how would AI tackle search arc effectively?

I can imagine one day, some one (definitely not me) would raise the idea of shadowing, which is a whole bowl of spaghetti itself...

Edit: may be somebody needs to write a newbie guide....

valent

PostPosted: Wed 1 Jun - 15:01 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt response and congratulations for help for difficulty Wink Please make really easiest FOR ME if the others pro don't like!!
I should, if good english , make  five stars for your "ameliorations "( in french)!!

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 10:08 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

A first prototype

Phil Gaskill
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 13:43 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Sketch looks intriguing, Cyril!

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 22:14 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Gosh!  I've just spent an hour or so thinking about this (and drawing out lots of hexes) to try and think how it would work.  It's quite complicated isn't it  Very Happy . I wonder, as Doug had mentioned in the original post, if it's best to limit choice to 120 deg arcs in multiples of 1 (120 deg = 2 hex), 2 (240 deg = 4 hex) or 3 (360 = 6 hex) from the originating hex.  That way it would make the expanding arc more consistent (and I assume the programming a *bit* easier) for players to be able to understand.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 07:19 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Indeed more simple to look at the first ring of hers around the carrier or the airfield

In fact, it is more 2 hexes = 60°C, 3 hexes = 120°C, 4 hexes = 180°C, 5 hexes = 240°C and 6 hexes= 360°C
You have to imagine line going through the center of the searching airbase and searched hexes

Ex: A 120°C westward search 

PirateJock

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 12:46 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Work with hex centre points ... so that's the answer  Okay   Thanks

dg55

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 20:58 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

I like your prototype ideas, Bladerunner.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun - 09:11 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

The Air Op screen with 2 search boxes and thus 2 search patterns

Phil Gaskill
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun - 12:42 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Looks good, Cyril.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun - 16:29 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

Looks good, Cyril

PirateJock

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun - 12:24 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2) Reply with quote

+2 on the looking good  Okay

I can't remember the detail but I believe if you had a SEARCH mission containing units with good A2S values they would NOT attack; you would need to wait for their search to finish followed by the return to base and reassign to distant CAP.  Is that correct? 

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 16:30 (2017)    Post subject: [Done] Search pattern (v1.2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation