Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coral Sea Battle 1P review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug - 22:22 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Yesterday night i tested again this scenario in 1P using 1.11(beta).
I only used the weather option.

The main feedbacks i have from this game are:

1. I think it should be necessary to have quickly the option to get the historical Japanese Order of Battle; and in the case of hypothetical Japanese OB, to limit the forces the Japanese navy may have, especially depending on the options chosen by the US player. In my case, i had historical US OB but i had to cope with 2 CVs (Hiryu and Soryu), 2CVLs (included Taiho that was commissioned in 1943 only...), 2 CVEs, 4 BBs, 15 CAs etc. Actually i stopped the game without even having identified all the Japanese forces. Presence of Taiho really shocked me since this ship could not be there (while the Hiryu and Soryu could since they were operational at the time).

2. The limitation in the number of Japanese ships (20) in one TF should also be implemented quickly since one of the TF had no less than 2 CVLs, 2 CVEs, 2 BBs, 10 CAs and 11 DDs !

3. The commitment of CAP air units seem to be still very un-optimized. All my CAP went after a first minor raid while a second heavy raid was inbound and detected. I could nothing but look at the demise of my CVs  

4. From my experience, I believe the effect of weather on air combat should be reviewed. Actually my TF was heavily attacked by enemy air units but i had early warning so that i could move my TF before the enemy raid occur. I had two options: staying in a clear weather hex or moving towards a rainy hexe. I chose to move in the latter one, which is most probably what a CV's captain would have actually done in 1942. But, as i already noticed, my defense was weakened and my CAP and DCA failed to shoot down more than one air unit; on the contrary, the Japanese air units were still very efficient and sank my two CVs! By now, i think it is better to stay in the open clear, which does not sound very realistic to me.
Currently, cloudy weather only affect strategic bombers combat capacity by 5%; in the case of rainy weather, heavy DCA capacity is decreased by -10%, light DCA by 5%, air combat against ships/airfields by 5% while air-to-air combat is switched by one column left (?); in the case of (light) storm, heavy DCA capacity is decreased by 20%, light DCA by 10%, air combat units against ships/airfields by 10% and air-air combat is switched by two columns left (? again). Of course it is open to discussion but i think that within storm, air-air or surface-air (DCA) or air-surface combat should be almost impossible; and very depleted in rainy weather. As a comparison, for searches, cloudy weather decreases the detection probability by 25%, rainy weather by 50% and stormy weather by 75!
I think weather should be regarded as a chance for TF to hide and escape detection but also a chance to escape severe combat damage, as it actually happened in 1942.

Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug - 22:22 (2017)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug - 22:37 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Correction, Taiho was launched in 1943 but she was commissioned in 1944 only. Wink

currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 1 Sep - 04:20 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

I suggest beta stuff belongs to beta forums, at best...

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 1 Sep - 18:24 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Yes, correct. I hesitated between the two.
I think BR may relocate this topic if necessary.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Sep - 15:15 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Hello

1. This has bene already discussed outside this topic. The random generation may be sometimes too powerful

2. An issue which should be solved but may be not too easily

3. The CAP thrown in all its fighters whatever the number of incoming enemy bombers
May be an improvement for the CAP where you could choose a behaviour keeping some of your fighters in reserve (ex: no more than 3:1) and thus spare your ammo

4 The weather affects both the attackers and the defender
First, it is more difficult to ding you
Then the AA and CAP are reduced 
But the chance of bombs and torpedoes to hit are also greatly reduced. -10% is against 25% basis

May be the bombing malus vs AA malus should be greater 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sat 2 Sep - 22:12 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the answers, everything fine.

Regarding point 4, yes, I think maybe weather effects on combat should be tuned more precisely but this will require some consideration.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep - 20:25 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

I agree with Larsen in that weather needs to be more disruptive against air attacks. Increase chances that TFs cannot be located. Even if located attacks need to be reduced further and or only part of the strike force is able to attack. I agreed that ducking under cover of a storm or rain cloud puts the defender at a disadvantage. It should be the other way around. I also believe that if a TF enters a storm no attack should be possible. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep - 20:43 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Yes I fully agree with Archerfish.
Actually, to me, storm should really prevent air operations. I mean no attack on the TF, but also no launching, no landing (except if the air units are out of range but they should have some penalty) and the CAP units should also be penalized (maybe spending one more range point?).
My 2 cents...

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep - 15:50 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Ah well, Let's review the exchange on the weather feature here
http://cbfg.xooit.org/t125-Weather.htm#p734

It has been decided to have light storm only

Today storm are reducing both CAP/AA and bombing
May be it should reduce more the bombing than the AA. 
Like this ?

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep - 20:17 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review Reply with quote

Difficult to say, we will need to test, but that's the idea.

To me bad weather should reduce both chance of bombers to hit the target and chance of CAP/DCA to shoot down the attackers.
For the moment, clearly, hiding in bad weather is not wise.

BTW, i was not aware that storm only figured light storms, not heavy storms. I better understand now.

Just an idea for the CAP: maybe add a new roll to check if the CAP manages or fails to intercept.
This roll would be modified by weather conditions, radar etc.
If the roll is successful, the air combat occurs (maybe again with modifiers because of weather); otherwise the attackers remain unscathed.

To go further, i think we need some figures. I will try to find out some statistics about weather effects. Somebody should have had the same concern and tried to evaluate them.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 03:23 (2017)    Post subject: Coral Sea Battle 1P review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation