Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct - 15:37 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

Problem

The AI is already able to withdraw its all fleet from the battle after facing large losses
The player may stubbornly fight to the last ship

It is an issue for example in Coral sea where nothing force the Japanese TRS force to turn back. Hence this scenario should very often be a Strategic victory for the Japanese

So the idea is to give each side a number of points of morale at the beginning of each scenario

Rule

A side with loses morale with

-          Inoperative carriers (sunk, crippled….)
-          Lack of fuel (TBD)
-          An superior enemy forces blocking the objective, etc…
-          Etc…
Not so easy to define

Depending on the scenario, when a side has lost a given number of morale points, then some mandatory retreat are enforced

Examples

Ex for Coral Sea :
-          2 pts of morale lost : Japanese TRS retire
-          4 pts: the whole Japanese fleet retires

Ex for Watchtower
-          2 pts : all US CV retires
-          4 pts : the whole US fleet retires

Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct - 15:37 (2017)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct - 18:29 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

I think introducing morale is a very interesting idea but it should be difficult to tune as you say. Withdrawing part of forces or whole forces seem logical but depending on the way it is done, it might be the end of the scenario.

Maybe i suggest, depending on morale, that ships should not be able to enter into zones supposed to be dominated by adverse air (or surface) forces or maybe less easily.

For example, around New Guinea, Japanese ships could not pass south of Jomard passage or forced to withdraw north of Jomard passage.
In Guadalcanal sector, more or less the same with a kind of limit not to be exceeded. Plus the fact that Japanese forces may withdraw during daylight for fear of US air power and US forces may withdraw during night for fear of Japanese surface power.

Or possibly combine with a kind of morale check if you (as supreme commander) ask your subordinates to do something they are reluctant to. Refusing is not automatic but chance increase with loss of morale.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct - 19:50 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

It's an interesting idea that I like. I particularly like the idea that the player uses moral if major surface forces are lost or withdraw. 

I recently played OP Ke and I was able to keep my carriers safe because there was enough fuel at Guadalcanal that I could send my carrier planes there. Keeping my CVs safely out of range. But the main reason I sent my carrier planes there was to get my planes to the front line more quickly. The carriers start so far away that they don't arrive until the third day. 

Anyway, moral might make a player think twice about doing that.  Players get moral points as long as the TF move toward the objective or when they are with in 10 hexes of the objective. Just a thought. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct - 22:01 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

Probably one of the many ways of interpreting and implementing morale.

Personally i would give some points to each side at the beginning of the scenario, than give or withdrawing points depending on success/failure (significant enough) allowing to pass more or less easily morale check in order to perform or no some operations.
Not so easy.

But i think we will need to have more time line to play in order to implement morale efficiently. Role of morale over a very short period of time shall not be that effective except if one side experiences catastrophic failure/tremendous success like the sinking all the carriers... but in this case the game is more or less over.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct - 10:18 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

May be it will take time to define a generic morale rule or may be it will be impossible to generalize

At the outset, I will start implementing some custom rules for each scenario

Ex for the future Revenge Raid scenario (March 42)
The US must withdraw to the Coral sea if the surprise effects is lost
- when they bomb Rabaul
- after a US carrier-based attack on a Japanese force except if complety wiped out
- when they get attacked by land-based planes

currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct - 01:54 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

Long read...

I think there are some more heated features which would have been done before this. And IMHO, it works best when there is a campaign and not so for 2P games.

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct - 19:17 (2017)    Post subject: Morale Reply with quote

Fully agree with this except for 2P games; i think morale may prevent players from foolish actions... e.g. a TF suffering heavy losses will have to withdraw rather than staying stubbornly trying to shell Guadalcanal or Lunga or any other place, or trying to unload.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 08:25 (2017)    Post subject: Morale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation