Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torpedos Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 6 Nov - 07:32 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

Im very please with the fix on the IJN surface torpedo attacks.  They are much, much better now.  However, attacks by G4M are still pretty devastating. Surface ships that are attacked buy G4M have a high chance of getting sunk.  Bladerunner, do bombers use the same attack chart as surface ships or do they use a different chart? 

I've also notice recently that there seems to be a reduce number of attacks by bombers on CV TF,  I'm not sure if bombers have been reduced in the game but what I have noticed is that the game is much more of a carrier fight now.  Much more enjoyable. 

On the flip side, US surface torpedo are very pathetic.  I understand the torpedo problems the US had early in the war but out of the 10 times I had the US fire torpedos in an surface engagement I think only one or maybe two resulted in sinking any ships. So I think the US can use a little more help. 

Anyway, I'll see if I can find some statistics on US torpedo attacks in 1942. 

Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 6 Nov - 07:32 (2017)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 6 Nov - 07:51 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

1. I dunno how G4M fared in real life. I think the AA fire is even more pathetic now. 12 ships made up with 2BB and 4CA fails to hit a thing about 5 out of 6 times here

2. Hey, I just got hit by a US torpedo in the Guadalcanal scenario just then. I know it is rare. More real life stats will help. Thanks!

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 6 Nov - 10:24 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

currymutton wrote:
1. I dunno how G4M fared in real life. I think the AA fire is even more pathetic now. 12 ships made up with 2BB and 4CA fails to hit a thing about 5 out of 6 times here

2. Hey, I just got hit by a US torpedo in the Guadalcanal scenario just then. I know it is rare. More real life stats will help. Thanks!

Yeah I noticed the AA fire is weak too.  

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 7 Nov - 00:32 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

Yes AA is weak as is CAPs effectiveness. Strangely enough i noticed a trend to have good results when the CAP is weak while they are getting poorer and poorer with larger CAPs... I already saw several times CAPs of 2/3 air units almost completely destroying an incoming raid (with both destroyed and damaged air units) while CAPs with 6/7 air units failing to score any damage.
Historically, US CAPs and AA were very strong and took a very heavy toll on the Japanese attack planes; it is significant that Midway, the air group that suffered the heavier losses (i mean human losses) was by far the one from the Hiryu, the only one that went above the US carriers...

Regarding torpedoes, US torpedoes were by far inferior to Japanese torpedoes as you may know, first in themselves as a weapon, second from the special training on the Japanese side to use these weapons. However, it should be noted that aerial torpedoes were different from ship-borne torpedoes; the famed "Long Lance", actually officially type 93 torpedo, was launched only from ships, not planes. But aerial Japanese torpedoes were still better than their US counterparts.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 7 Nov - 06:45 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

Well after doing some research I realize that the US torpedo problem in 1942 was more miserable than I though.  I found a pretty good article on the torpedoes here.
http://www.historynet.com/us-torpedo-troubles-during-world-war-ii.htm
It seems that after doing some testing that the torpedoes failed to detonate 70% of the time when hitting targets at 90' and 50% failures at 45'. So with this data I have to admit that the US torpedoes are about right. 

Still need to check on torpedoes dropped on IJN bombers. 

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov - 23:08 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

The Japanese torpedoes were may be the only advanced technology that the Allies could never catch up with
Torpedo bombers are still vulnerable to light AA as they were flying low in a straight line

Ships ar emoe easily sunk by torpedo bombers because each hit reduces the life point by 1
They let enter water into the ship whereas bombs just let air enter the ship  Very Happy

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov - 23:57 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

The problem is that when IJN bombers attack a TF with transports they always attack the TRS and no other ships. I thought there was suppose to be a little bit more randomness to targets selection. The other is that it's basically a 95% chance that a TRS is sunk. This is when the IJN attacks the US.  When the US attacks IJN transports it's not as high. To me the US attack results seem about right but the IJN seems too high. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov - 15:14 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again Reply with quote

Archerfish, i think that if you want attack more targets during an air raid, there is an option for it in the panel of the raid itself.

Regarding TRS, i have always been amazed at the capacity of TRS, especially Japanese TRS, to take punishment. I often had the case of Japs TRS still afloat after being hit by some 8 or 9 bombs. I agree that torpedoes are more efficient in sinking ships than bombs, but, historically, any TRS with let's say 5 to 6 bombs hits should be a total loss if not sunk.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 04:37 (2017)    Post subject: Torpedos Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation