Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search major improvement
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Sightreader

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec - 22:13 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Hey guys;

Sorry I didn’t read everything in this thread, but I was thinking...

Could the search overlay simply draw lines showing flight paths?  Little dots with tails can show precisely where search planes are on these paths (plus keep players apprised of delays and such).  

This way, no matter how little control you give players over search patterns, the transparency of the system will still give players excellent control over which hexes get searched, when, and how thoroughly.  Additionally, as players add or remove planes from a search sector, they can immediately see how their coverage will change.

Of course, it’s probably too late for a suggestion like this, and my apologies if you guys already discussed it.

Thanks!

Publicité

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec - 22:13 (2017)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 10:07 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Guys, you are quite talkative
I hope you had a good beer yesterday  Okay

Here is a little drawing illustrating the current solution

Each plane has a given visibility of 20 miles on each side fo the aircraft. 15 in cloud, 10 in rain and 5 in storm
This may be a bit low. This is the parameter on which we may play

Ex: 4 planes  (1 air unit) searching a TF a distance of 5.
That means 11 hexes to cover = 330 miles
Each plane will cover 2x20 = 40 miles and thus has 40 / 330 miles to cover
As they don't cover the same area, the odds are adding
The global chance is 160/330

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 17:02 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Sightreader wrote:
Hey guys;

Could the search overlay simply draw lines showing flight paths?  Little dots with tails can show precisely where search planes are on these paths (plus keep players apprised of delays and such).  

This way, no matter how little control you give players over search patterns, the transparency of the system will still give players excellent control over which hexes get searched, when, and how thoroughly.  Additionally, as players add or remove planes from a search sector, they can immediately see how their coverage will change.

Of course, it’s probably too late for a suggestion like this, and my apologies if you guys already discussed it.

Thanks!

You are welcome Sightreader!

Well actually i agree with you but i think this would be made together with individualization of scouts (and hence more generally, planes) which i think is scheduled by BR for some future version of the game, but not immediately.

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 17:16 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Bladerunner wrote:
Here is a little drawing illustrating the current solution

Each plane has a given visibility of 20 miles on each side fo the aircraft. 15 in cloud, 10 in rain and 5 in storm
This may be a bit low. This is the parameter on which we may play

BR

Rain? you mean squalls?
That's fine but if i am right we currently have only clear, clouds and storms as weather conditions?
Do you plan to add rain?

Bladerunner wrote:
Ex: 4 planes  (1 air unit) searching a TF a distance of 5.
That means 11 hexes to cover = 330 miles
Each plane will cover 2x20 = 40 miles and thus has 40 / 330 miles to cover
As they don't cover the same area, the odds are adding
The global chance is 160/330

I understand the idea but this only for 100% clear weather.
If there is mixed weather, i guess you combine e.g. if one plane is in cloud the it will have only 2*15 = 30 miles hence an overall probability of 150/330.

It means that if the TF is in clear weather but part of the search area is elsewhere covered with clouds/rain/storm, then the probability of detection decreases.

Am i correct?
If so, i am afraid this solution is still somewhat unsatisfactory since it "distributes" poor weather conditions all over the search area...

BTW, in your drawing, you mention a search at 5 hexes but the first line is at 4. So i assume the planes are returning?

Sightreader

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 17:20 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

larsenjp wrote:
Sightreader wrote:

You are welcome Sightreader!

Well actually i agree with you but i think this would be made together with individualization of scouts (and hence more generally, planes) which i think is scheduled by BR for some future version of the game, but not immediately.

Thanks for being so supportive!

The other thing I was considering was having a shading-based overlay: darker or bolder means better chance of finding something in that hex, again with little vectors for current aircraft location (I wouldn’t think aircraft type matters as much in a search display). I’m not sure that would be as useful as knowing the actual flight paths...

Another question, though: what are the bright green blobs on that proposed search display?

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 18:16 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Sightreader wrote:
The other thing I was considering was having a shading-based overlay: darker or bolder means better chance of finding something in that hex, again with little vectors for current aircraft location (I wouldn’t think aircraft type matters as much in a search display). I’m not sure that would be as useful as knowing the actual flight paths...

I agree with you, better to have search flight path whenever possible. But BR rules... Wink

Sightreader wrote:
Another question, though: what are the bright green blobs on that proposed search display?

My understanding is that this is the place where the scouts actually search.
One air unit = 4 planes equally distributed in the "arc of circle".
My 2 cents...

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 21:11 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Yes, the search coverage is highlighted in green
The hand-drawn dash lines are just supposed to represent single planes, each one covering a portion of the arc

The search radius is 4. Hence scouts may see at a distance of 4 and 5 from their base 
Larsenjp, in my example, we suppose w have a TF at a distance of 5 hexes

Shadowing is possible but takes memory and the screen is already quite crowd
No search path as we have already discussed. Imperfect, difficult to manage and mes much "simpler" the a probabilistic system

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec - 21:41 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Cyril,

OK thanks, i was mistaking.
The current search radius is 4 but scouts may see up to 5 as we discussed...

Yes, i agree, there is a need in balancing between realism/simplicity and changing completely from the probability system is most probably difficult.
We need to test this one which normally should be more realistic than the previous one.

Sightreader

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec - 02:36 (2017)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

larsenjp wrote:
Yes, i agree, there is a need in balancing between realism/simplicity and changing completely from the probability system is most probably difficult.

I’d lean towards simplicity over precision and, to some extent, realism.  Already this game has a very high entry barrier (note the number of tutorials required) that drastically cuts down on the number of players willing to sit down and study an app that is already far more demanding than anything else on their cell phone.

If possible, I suggest compensating for a simplistic interface by designing a strong visual language that makes the detailed execution of the game engine as visually transparent as possible.  If you can communicate clearly exactly how the game will implement even the most simplistic search controls, then the more advanced players will figure how to manipulate what few controls they have to produce the exact type of search coverage they desire. 

The search aspect of the game, I feel, is where elegant design is the hardest to achieve but most critical.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 20 May - 11:19 (2018)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

There is a possibility to simulate the detection and harassment of scouts without changing the air unit scale

The idea is the following
When a successfully searched, there is a chance that the scout(s) get(s) detected
Depends on radar, presence of CAP, known presence of snoopers from previous phases, weather

If detected:
- the TF owner gets notified.
- depending on CAP, there is chance that the air unit gets chased away, aborted, damaged or destroyed
- depending on CAP, there is a chance that the info on the TF gets partially transmitted (error on position or composition) or not at all

This is favorable to the US
Weather to be taken into account as well

More details later

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 20 May - 13:13 (2018)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

Hi BR,

It sounds great. Very promising...

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov - 19:11 (2018)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

I would like to increase the effects of bad weather

Today:  Cloud -25%, Rain -50%, storm -75%
Tomorrow: -40, -60, -80

What do you think ?

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov - 23:12 (2018)    Post subject: Search major improvement Reply with quote

I agree... And misidentification should be increased in case of successfull detection.
But effects should be also increased for combat. Bad weather should give better chance for the scouts to survive CAP...

The same for attackers. More difficult for them to find TF in bad weather but more difficult for defenders to find attackers (with radar correction that will help).
And more difficult for attackers to hit targets...

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 19:34 (2019)    Post subject: Search major improvement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation