Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 06:34 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

One player wished if he could launch an airstrike from Port Moresby to Rabaul with Milne Bay as return base
Setting the return base before the airstrike takes off, removes the dependency on the radio as the distance to the airbases will be large

Do you feel that helpful ?

Last edited by Bladerunner on Mon 19 Sep - 22:00 (2016); edited 4 times in total
Publicité

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 06:34 (2016)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
PirateJock

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 09:09 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

Was this something that was done during the campaign?  I don't have much knowledge of the fighting in the Pacific but I'm not aware of this happening much in European theatres.

Phil Gaskill
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 14:12 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

I believe this is something I requested during beta testing; at any rate, whether it was actually used or not in the Pacific, it reminds me of what was called "shuttle bombing" in Europe, which indeed was widely used in Europe when they wanted to bomb a target that was too far away from the "home" airfield for a round-trip, but there was another, closer, spot in a different direction; so they could bomb the target, continue on to airfield 2, refuel overnight, and even bomb the target again (or a different target, whatever) on their way back to airfield 1 the next day or the next week or whatever. I thought Ploesti was an example of this, but it's not mentioned in the Wikipedia article, which does list 5 other shuttle missions. Anyway, based on the fact that it was employed in Europe, I sure think we should offer it in the Pacific, whether it ever gets used or not. I can't remember my scenario at the time, but I sure would have used it if it had been available.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 20:30 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

Hi Phil - Thanks for the background information.  I've learnt something new today  Very Happy

I did a search on shuttle bombing in the Pacific and came across a link to Air War Pacific: Chronology by Eric Hammel.  He's got the first shuttle bombing happening on 23 March 1944 in the Marshall Islands ...

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun - 22:17 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

So do I !
Well done guys, I have renamed my topic

Phil Gaskill
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 01:46 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

Ha! I didn't think to look in Hammel, which Cyril can vouch that I spent hours and hours going through researching other topics, mainly basing, during beta testing or even pre-beta testing, dunno which Cyril would call it. An amazing book, which I highly recommend for almost ANY purpose. But thanks, PJ!

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 12:58 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

I'm slowly being drawn into the Pacific theatre ... downloadable books are NOT good for self-control!

Phil Gaskill
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun - 12:59 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

You said it, PJ!!!

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul - 23:24 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

It even happened inadvertently during the war.  Much of USS HORNET's first strike (less the famous Torpedo 8) landed on Midway when they didn't have enough fuel to make it back to the ship. 

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 5 Sep - 21:12 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

a little preview...

CPOFastForward

PostPosted: Wed 7 Sep - 21:49 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4) Reply with quote

Nice clean interface. Looks great! 

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 16:29 (2017)    Post subject: [Done] Shuttle Bombing (v1.4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation