Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Fuel Auto Abort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan - 07:13 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

This is similar to by bomber post but I’m finding all aircraft to be flying beyond their safe return range which is causing me to loose aircraft unnecessarily.  I now find myself micromanaging airstrikes in flight every turn to make sure my aircraft have enough fuel.  This means counting hexes every turn.  I would like to see a auto abort feature that a player can select.  Once aircraft have reach their half way point on fuel they automatically abort and return to base.

Publicité

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan - 07:13 (2018)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan - 03:43 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

No more sucidial mission? This will change the game greatly.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan - 04:23 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

currymutton wrote:
No more sucidial mission? This will change the game greatly.

For the better and more realistic. Especially with bombers. When playing I loose more CV to bomber that Carrier planes. Carriers were rarely sunk by bombers. 

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan - 22:33 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

I think this s a good idea and a good candidate for the version 2.4

The settings for each airstrike should allow to choose a level of return based on remaining endurance   SAFE (+2)  /  NORMAL (0)  / RISKY  (-2)
Airstrikes will return if they remaining endurance allow to come back with a remaining endurance of zero, modified by the number in ( )

By default, airstrike keep their integrity. All planes stay together and the lowest endurance among them is used for the return on low fuel feature
A settings allows to break this integrity and the check is done at each air unit level. An air unit will must return will then leave the airstrike and return to base

The AI will use NORMAL or RISKY against carriers

Shall this settings editable at launch time or in the air (as the bombing settings) ?

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan - 00:19 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

This is great BR! Okay

I would like it to be editable at any time.  The only exception I think the “Risky” option should be allowed is if it is adjacent to its target once it reaches its safe return range. Then it should be allowed to attack it in the next phase.  

So for clarification I would like for individual aircraft counters to be able to break away from the airstrike when it becomes clear that it no longer has enough fuel to reach its target and return safely.  Once a aircraft counter reaches its max safe return distance, it must abort and return. 

The problem with the game now is that it once a bomber reaches it target and is at its max range, it will continue to search for a couple of turns.  Usually it will find the target and attack but usually this almost always pushes the aircraft beyond its safe return.  This mostly happens with G4Ms from Rubal attacking ship east of Guadalcanal. They almost always exceed their range to attack ships.  Essentially it becomes a Kamikaze strike. Players often do this intentionally because a CV is worth more points than loosing 20 bombers. Forcing a bomber to return once it has reach its max safe return range is more realistic.

It will also be very helpful with CV aircraft. With large airstrikes it may take 2 or 3 phases for all aircraft to get into the air.  At the beginning the AI says everyone has enough fuel. But by the time you get to the 3 phase, some of the aircraft on the first phase are suddenly short on fuel because they spent 2 movements waiting above the CV.

Where it will become most helpful is when using weather.  Changes in weather make it difficult to determine exact fuel range. Especially when attempting to cross or go around thunderstorms which can consume a lot of fuel.

The game currently does a pretty good job of warning players when planes are not able to reach their target and return safely but it still requires phase by phase monitoring and micromanaging by the player to ensure a safe return.  However, often a player can get distracted and loose sight of it.  Automating and forcing an abort for a safe return for individual aircraft counter would be a great improvement. 

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan - 19:17 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

Thanks
Would you also say that shuttle bombing (choising a different return airbase) is also editable at any time ?
I ask this because I intend to group some settings togetger

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan - 19:19 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

Bladerunner wrote:
Thanks
Would you also say that shuttle bombing (choising a different return airbase) is also editable at any time ?
I ask this because I intend to group some settings togetger

Let’s play test it and see how it works. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan - 20:52 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

I think that setting the level of return is a great option.
Getting it editable at any time... i don't know, i think we need to test.

As for the shuttle bombing option, i would have it editable only for land-based planes but not for carrier-based planes that generally always tried to get back to their carrier or at least their TF (and this was not an option to be changed after the mission had begun).

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan - 02:45 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

larsenjp wrote:
I think that setting the level of return is a great option.
Getting it editable at any time... i don't know, i think we need to test.

As for the shuttle bombing option, i would have it editable only for land-based planes but not for carrier-based planes that generally always tried to get back to their carrier or at least their TF (and this was not an option to be changed after the mission had begun).

What happens when a CV is sunk while away on a sirstrike?

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan - 08:22 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

USS Archerfish wrote:

What happens when a CV is sunk while away on a

In this case the planes should try to rebase on the closest carrier or, if not possible, on the closest land airbase (in this order of priority). But this should be managed by the game and not be an option.
Well my 2 cents of course.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan - 09:04 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

larsenjp wrote:
USS Archerfish wrote:
What happens when a CV is sunk while away on a

In this case the planes should try to rebase on the closest carrier or, if not possible, on the closest land airbase (in this order of priority). But this should be managed by the game and not be an option.
Well my 2 cents of course.

The only reason I disagree with this is that the AI doesn’t select logically especially when operating with multiple CV in the area. If I loose a CV and I have 2 more near by but one is landing aircraft I’ll send them to the other CV even if it is a little farther.  Sometime the AI will send them to the nearest CV even when it’s capacity is full.  There are simply to many variables that the AI is just not capable of handling. 

One issue I have with the AI when operating multiple CV in a TF is that returning aircraft don’t split up evenly.  One will have a bunch of fighters and the other a bunch of bombers. When I detach I often have to swap planes around. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan - 13:08 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort Reply with quote

Ok about your first point i am afraid i disagree with you because this is really micro management and, further more, i think this is unrealistic. I do not think that pilots were able to choose the carrier they were going to land on whenever theirs was unavailable. Maybe air traffic controllers tried to but it was obviously very difficult to manage. So letting the game manage this kind of hazard is Ok for me.

Regarding the second point, i fully agree and this is due to the fact there is no identified units in the game such VF-2 and so on... if there were such units they could be attached to a ship or a land base and try to get back to their base in priority. Additionnaly this could help to manage level (elite / average / green) or morale etc. I think this should be on the list of next improvement of the game.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:17 (2018)    Post subject: Low Fuel Auto Abort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation