Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reduce Extreme Battle Damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 7 May - 21:13 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

BR

While extreme battle losses did occur through the war, I feel they occur too frequently in this game.  On a smaller level it’s not unusual. A small airstrike of 20 planes, it’s not out of the question of seeing a 100% but not that common either.  However, in this game I’ve see a bomber strike of 40 + planes suffer 100% losses. While it did happen I think it was a rare occurrence but in CB I feel extreme losses occur much to frequently.    This same problem exist with ship battles too.  I seen a full TF of 12 be reduced by 9 ships in a single battle. Such extreme losses were rare.  I would like to see this reduced.  I feel single battles should rarely occur a loss of more then 50% with high numbers of ships and planes.  I think also reducing extreme battle losses will increase enjoyment of game play. A player may take a beating in a battle but if they still have surviving assents they’re still in the fight and have a chance. 

At the moment I think air attacks on ships are well balance. But ship to ship battles can sometimes be very lob sided.  Same for air to air combat.  The extreme losses need to be scaled back a bit. 

Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 7 May - 21:13 (2018)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 7 May - 21:40 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

Archer,

I agree and i would suggest to increase the number of damaged air units by comparison to destroyed. Then it will depend on repair ability which in turn is depending on the side (US/Japanese) and on the time left. More or less the same for surface battles and ships.

BTW, even if this out of the scope of the topic, i think that the subject of the game's time line should be addressed one day or another. I mean increasing the duration of some scenarios; currently we have only 3 days of action (plus possibility to extend to one or maybe two extra days) but we know that some battles spanned over more time. And i think this reduction on the duration of the game has some effect on the initial location of the TFs which in turn has an effect on the game. But this another problem... Wink

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 7 May - 23:42 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

larsenjp wrote:
Archer,

I agree and i would suggest to increase the number of damaged air units by comparison to destroyed. Then it will depend on repair ability which in turn is depending on the side (US/Japanese) and on the time left. More or less the same for surface battles and ships.

BTW, even if this out of the scope of the topic, i think that the subject of the game's time line should be addressed one day or another. I mean increasing the duration of some scenarios; currently we have only 3 days of action (plus possibility to extend to one or maybe two extra days) but we know that some battles spanned over more time. And i think this reduction on the duration of the game has some effect on the initial location of the TFs which in turn has an effect on the game. But this another problem... Wink

Yes I agree

As for the time line I have also mentioned this before.  But you would need to reduce the lethality of combat somewhat. Otherwise most units won’t last beyond 3 days. 

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct - 20:58 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

One way to reduce extreme damage : 

play with a scale of 1 plane per air unit

Another solution would be to use a non linear die-roll, something kind of Gaussian distribution. The chance to roll extreme will be lower than to roll the average

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct - 23:28 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

What do you mean by non linear die roll?I think that probability of destruction/damage should be defined for all the units/planes (depending on various parameters like weather, weaponery, etc.) and then a "die" should be rolled for each of them. Of course, increasing the size of the sample will naturally decrease the probability of getting tail-end events i.e all of them destroyed/damaged or none of them destroyed/damaged.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct - 02:49 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

Well since I’m not a programmer I have to rely on your expertise.  But the Gaussian distribution or the bell curve as we call it, seems like a reasonable solution. Let’s give that a try. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct - 18:44 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

The problem i possibly have with using Gaussian distribution is that, as a probability distribution, it refers to continuous parameter, that is value ranging from a minimum to a maximum (actually in this case, in theory, from -infinite to +infinite) while in our case this is rather a discrete parameter with three "values": destroyed, damaged, intact.
But we may try to get a normal distribution about the number of destroyed/damaged planes.
It depends on the way it is modeled in the game.

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct - 21:42 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

I was thinking ot use this is a few cases such as air battles where 1D100 is launched to see if fighters are hitting

A classic dice will give the same probability to end on 1, 2, 3...100
The idea is here is to modify the probaility very slightly to reduce the sheer or bad luck effect

I don't knwo how to do this exacly for now
it could be a negative modifier for fighters if half of the enmyforce has been already decimated

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct - 08:14 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

From my understanding, you are using a 10 sided dice. If you used a 8, 6 or 4 sided dice it might have the same effect. 

SBD

PostPosted: Tue 6 Nov - 10:55 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

C

SBD

PostPosted: Tue 6 Nov - 10:57 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage Reply with quote

Why not look at the problem from the ‘other’ direction.
What happened at that period, with those planes, in that circumstance ie land or cv battle.
Eg Coral sea 4:1  early 1943 12:1 Turkey shoot 20:1
Apprx kill radios to USN : Zero
Surely easier?

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 23:33 (2018)    Post subject: Reduce Extreme Battle Damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation