Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faster Speed for CV TF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep - 17:50 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF Reply with quote

Ive been looking a lot at the ship rules.  I realized that warships speeds are too slow.  The current speed for warships is accurate when in non combat conditions (Generally Abby 20-22 knots) but during combat they usually increase speeds to about 28-30 knots. This is especially true for CV because they usually need about 28-30 knots to launch and recover aircraft. Historical document showed that US CV fleets can hold top speeds for 3 days.

So in light of this information I would like to propose that at minimum, CV TF be allowed to move as fast ships. But ideally most warships should be able to move at fast speeds.

If you want more historical accuracy, I’m willing to research all the ships top speeds in the game. 

Publicité

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep - 17:50 (2018)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep - 20:07 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF Reply with quote

Archerfish,

You are right but BR explicitly said he considered only cruise speeds for sake of simplicity.

However, i think it's a very interesting point but, to me, if we want to introduce distinction between cruise speed and combat speed, then we should also consider the following points:
- regarding CVs, that's right they needed to increase speed for air operations but they also had to move against the wind... so if we enter into this level of details, we should have to introduce the direction of wind and force CV's TFs to move against it while launching (and recovering planes) at top speed. Otherwise we will have only the positive aspect without the negative. And of course, the game will be much more complex since , players won't be able anymore to do want they want to do with CVs TFs.... just like in the reality when the ships had to go in the opposite direction to the one admirals wanted them to go.
- top speed means increased fuel consumption so we should also need to introduce this aspect, included refueling at sea and tankers. Again it will seriously decrease the freedom players currently have to move ships.

To me, getting only reduced cruise speed is a very simple way for taking into account such very complex and limiting process.
But i am OK to go further if everybody agrees... and BR also of course Wink

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep - 03:40 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF Reply with quote

Larsenjp. Because the game only encompasses 3 days, fuel consumption is not needed.  Typically a TF, when full of fuel, can operate on average of 7 days.  This included 3 days at full speed.  Typically the 1st day is racing into the combat zone, 2nd day engaging in combat, 3rd day leaving the combat zone. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep - 15:30 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF Reply with quote

Sure but three days is probably too short as a timeline for some scenarios, especially CS whose action spanned over 4 or 5 days and where fuel problems played a very important role.
Furthermore, regarding the future campaign game, fuel consumption will have to be taken into account.
Anyway, i can do without but if we go into details, i am in favor of considering fuel consumption.

And what do you think about air operations and wind direction?

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep - 18:31 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF Reply with quote

Larsenjp. Specify what you mean by air operations. There are many elements to it. 

As for wind direction, of course that is a major factor in air operation. But because the hex size is 30 miles and the length of a turn is 1:20min, I don’t know if it will affect movement that much. A CV can launch all its aircraft in half a turn and then change directions.  Now if a CV launches and recovers at the same time I can then see it forcing the CV to move into the wind for the whole turn. I’m not exactly sure how BR would implement it.  Wind direction is already built into weather so I would guess it shouldn’t be too hard.  Anyway, it would be interesting to have.

It been a while since I played Carriers.  Maybe they have a rule already for that and BR can use it for this game.  

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 14:03 (2018)    Post subject: Faster Speed for CV TF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation