Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle of Coral Sea Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 9 Oct - 04:34 (2018)    Post subject: Battle of Coral Sea Video Reply with quote

I came across this excellent video of the Battle of the Coral Sea

https://youtu.be/NB5hH3ksvKE

From watching this video is seems the game mechanics still don’t quite reflect historical reality.  However, two things were very notable, Scouts and Cloud cover.  They played a much more prominent role than the game mechanics current reflect.

1.  The Japanese sent no CV scouts until very late in the battle.  Should the Japanese not be allowed to use CV scouts on the first two days to reflect history?

2. Cloud cover seems to have played a much more prominent role in preventing ships from being spotted by scout planes.  It also reduced airstrike effectiveness. So I’m wondering if weather modifications be revised to more accurately reflect this.

a) Reduce scouts ability to see ships by 50% and storms by 80 to 100%?
  b) Reduce air attacks by 20%-50%.  Storms, NO attacks are possible. 

Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 9 Oct - 04:34 (2018)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 9 Oct - 20:19 (2018)    Post subject: Battle of Coral Sea Video Reply with quote

I fully agree about the role of the weather. I think it is underestimated and should be reinforced regarding detection and attack, especially the dive bombers (maybe the torpedo planes should be favored by bad weather since, if they manage to spot the ships, they can get close more easily to lauch); in the same idea, AA and CAP efficiency should also be reduced...
Especially about detection; i think raids find the ships "hidden" in bad weather too often.

Regarding CS, well... i agree the Japanese scouts performed poorly but the US were not so good either.I think the idea about the game should also be to try to do it better or differently than history... but maybe we can try to reduce the Japanese scouting ability at the very beginning of the battle.

SBD

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov - 12:15 (2018)    Post subject: Battle of Coral Sea Video Reply with quote

We have to be careful we are not trying to create a simulation and not a game?
As the video says it was confusing and confused.
I think all the designer can do is give us the parameters and let us have a game.
ie I agree with AF’s suggestion re IJN scouts.
Some of these we have long requested.
Lack of scout snooping function, multi level CAP, no delay of first scout and strike take off.
Crew quality is important, almost every IJN pilot is highly skilled, so the more they loose the more VPs the USN should gain?
Re-fuelling is a major factor in history, but not in CB4G; 
as is the fact they were only 70nm miles away from each other yet neither side spotted the other.
Perhaps randomly reduce the search success, particularly as one of the major authors say how incompetent both sides were, but particularly the IJN.
The front helped Fletcher one day, but Takagi another.
The delay of the IJN CVs through Zero delivery probably saved Fletcher as the IJN was on his rear.
The IJN route north of the Solomons, and Fletcher strike west towards to invasion fleet; 
there are many things we could include.
As I posted in the TF forum, I suspect programming resources may not be available, or at least for a long time.

So in conclusion I broadly agree that the weather should be included more, but so should several other factors.
Shame as I think CS is the most interesting and most balanced of the four carrier battles.

I hope I can have a two player with you two sometime.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 22:34 (2018)    Post subject: Battle of Coral Sea Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation