Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aircraft Recall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules
Previous topic :: Next topic  
USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan - 06:06 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

I’m still loosing too many aircraft that chase targets beyond their fuel range and I have no control over this.  It is frustrating.  I would like to change the RECALL rule that once a aircraft is down to 45% fuel that Recall is automatic.  This should be considered a Squadron call aborting the mission due to fuel. 

Ideally I would like to recall individual air units inside the airstrike. 

Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan - 06:06 (2019)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Thu 7 Feb - 20:43 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

What would happen if the airstrike is after an important target such as CV. You will prefer to strike against a small right on fuel right ?

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Thu 7 Feb - 22:56 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

If you make recall automatic once a air unit in the strike reaches 50%, then it gives the player the control of continuing to attack or not.  If the player does nothing the attack continues. But if the player feels the risk of loosing plane because of low fuel is too high, then he can do a recall. At 50% fuel this would essentially be considered the squadron commander making the call to return due to low fuel. 

I know you programmed airstrikes to return automatically if the planes run low on fuel but this feature only works sometimes. Also, the AI can’t differentiate between high value targets and low value targets. 

Personally, I would prefer recall to go back to 100%.  This is because weather is now a permanent feature. Storms are too dangerous. I still loose large numbers of planes to storms. Especially when one sits over Guadalcanal for hours. It catastrophic.  Plane that left when skies were clear and return with a storm over it can cause a large lose of aircraft. Planes either won’t land and run out of fuel or crash while attempting to land.  And to add insult to injury, enemy aircraft are still free to attack because I can’t risk sending up a CAP because I might loose too many aircraft on landing if the storm doesn’t go away.  At this point I would like ban airstrikes from attacking if I can’t defend it.  Plus it’s too difficult to even find your target with rain and cloud cover. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 8 Feb - 20:35 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

USS Archerfish wrote:

If you make recall automatic once a air unit in the strike reaches 50%, then it gives the player the control of continuing to attack or not.  If the player does nothing the attack continues. But if the player feels the risk of loosing plane because of low fuel is too high, then he can do a recall. At 50% fuel this would essentially be considered the squadron commander making the call to return due to low fuel.

We said that is was not possible to make raids change of target because of radio communication aspects; namely no communications between CV and raids after it departs. I think this should be the same here; hence the player should have to make decision when designing the raid if the approach is conservative i.e. the raid returning as soon as it reaches 45% or if it is more aggressive.

USS Archerfish wrote:
I know you programmed airstrikes to return automatically if the planes run low on fuel but this feature only works sometimes. Also, the AI can’t differentiate between high value targets and low value targets.

I think this should be possible, high value targets being CVs only.

USS Archerfish wrote:
Personally, I would prefer recall to go back to 100%.  This is because weather is now a permanent feature. Storms are too dangerous. I still loose large numbers of planes to storms. Especially when one sits over Guadalcanal for hours. It catastrophic.  Plane that left when skies were clear and return with a storm over it can cause a large lose of aircraft. Planes either won’t land and run out of fuel or crash while attempting to land.  And to add insult to injury, enemy aircraft are still free to attack because I can’t risk sending up a CAP because I might loose too many aircraft on landing if the storm doesn’t go away.  At this point I would like ban airstrikes from attacking if I can’t defend it.  Plus it’s too difficult to even find your target with rain and cloud cover. 

Stormy weather over airbases lasting over several turns is clearly a problem. We should try to find a solution for mitigating this without being too unrealistic.
Actually, in the Pacific, losses due to weather conditions were very high. At some point in the war, allied forces even lost more planes to bad weather than to the Japanese...

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Fri 8 Feb - 23:40 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

We said that is was not possible to make raids change of target because of radio communication aspects; namely no communications between CV and raids after it departs. I think this should be the same here; hence the player should have to make decision when designing the raid if the approach is conservative i.e. the raid returning as soon as it reaches 45% or if it is more aggressive

Larsen, you’re missing my point. My request for 100% recall at 50% of fuel has nothing to do with radio communication.  At 50% of fuel it is now a local call by the airstrike commander which is 100%. 

BR did create a program that automatically has a aircraft unit return when they reached 50% fuel. This did work for a little while but not recently. I don’t know what happened.  

The primary issue is in my opinion a faulty AI. When a airstrike arrives at its destination and does not find a target it will continue to search for up to 3 phases looking for the target and I have no control to stop it.  When the AI does decide to return my aircraft, they are now dangerously low on fuel and I risk loosing a fair number of aircraft unnecessarily because of a poor AI decision that I do not have control over.  This is the primary issue of my complaint. By making Recall 100% when any aircraft in the airstrike reaches 50% of fuel or less is essentially giving me manual override control over the AI and preventing it from making stupid decisions on my behalf. 

larsenjp
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Sat 9 Feb - 16:48 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall Reply with quote

OK sorry for my misunderstanding.
I did not notice such problem I will try to check it out.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 15:22 (2019)    Post subject: Aircraft Recall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Rules All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation