Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese flight deck repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Miscellaneous
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon 3 Oct - 16:37 (2016)    Post subject: Japanese flight deck repair Reply with quote

In my humble opinion Japanese flight decks are a bit too easily repaired after being hit by US bombs. I concur with the designer that bomb damage often doesn't lead to a sunk ship, since it doesn't damage the hull, but the fact remains that Japanese carriers hit by bombs were invariably put out of action and could only be repaired in port. There is a technical reason for this fact. Both US and Japanese carrier were built with the hangar deck as the strength deck, with the notable exceptions of late war Taiho and Shinano, which had armored flight decks. Here the similarities end; US carriers had hangars with very large side opening, that could be closed by shutters (the exception being Lexington and Saratoga whose hangars were open to the outside via boat decks), in contrast Japanese hangars were hermetically closed (good for security). A bomb detonating in a US carrier hangar tended to vent the blast trough the hangar openings. Explosions in Japanese carriers were invariably spectacular in their effects: the blast was contained initially by the closed hangar but as the pressure built up large areas of the structure were distorted and the flight deck bulged upwards, making repairs at sea impossible. If you look at the photos of Shokaku damaged by bombs at Coral sea you will see what I mean.
As far as I know in 1942 no Japanese carrier damaged by bombs was repaired at sea and in condition to resume battle. I stand to be corrected, of course. In contrast US carriers' flight decks were repaired very quickly, even Lexington and Yorktown flight deck were repaired before they were eventually lost.

Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 3 Oct - 16:37 (2016)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Thu 6 Oct - 20:21 (2016)    Post subject: Japanese flight deck repair Reply with quote

In fact, I had considered this wrecked flight deck as accident not at a general case.
However you have made a judicious remark
I have increased the chance of destroyed flight deck for the Japanese flat tops. More over, their carriers have a lower damage control, so they should suffer more than their Allied counterpart

One should also note that the Japanese have always suffer massive hits but the US carriers only a few bomb hits at the time

Carlo

PostPosted: Fri 7 Oct - 21:34 (2016)    Post subject: Japanese flight deck repair Reply with quote

I have elaborated a rough statistic about hits on Japanese carriers damaged and sunk in 1942.

Damaged carriers (flight deck damage only)

Shokaku, Coral Sea: 3 1000lb bombs
Shokaku, Santa Cruz: 3 or 6 (sources vary) 1000lb bombs
Zuiho, Santa Cruz: 2 500lb bombs

Sunk carriers

Shoho,Coral Sea: 13 bombs 7 torpedoes (no carrier in the world could survive such a punishment!)
Akagi, Midway: 1 1000lb bomb
Kaga, Midway: 4 1000lb bombs
Soryu, Midway: 3 1000lb bombs
Hiryu, Midway: 4 1000lb bombs
Ruyjo, Eastern Salomons: 4 bombs, 1 torpedo

On the whole I think Japanese carriers were extremely powerful ships on the attack, with excellent air groups and a terrible ship killer with the B5N, but less brilliant in defense, with a mediocre flak. I am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to play the Japanese side!

currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct - 05:32 (2016)    Post subject: Japanese flight deck repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice post?

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 16:37 (2017)    Post subject: Japanese flight deck repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation