Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index

Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 1 Nov - 13:12 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields Reply with quote

Today, CAP are automatically landing, refueling and re-launched in a timely manner 
CAP airplanes do not expend all their endurance but land sooner in small chunks so that there is always an air cover over the base

However, this could consume a lot fo fuel and be problematics for airfield with limited fuel points

Hence the process could be modified this way for limited airfields:
- CAP will never be renewed 
- CAP will fly until reaching endiurance 

This way, the efficiency of the CAP vs fuel is optimum

Last edited by Bladerunner on Sat 9 Sep - 21:02 (2017); edited 1 time in total
Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 1 Nov - 13:12 (2016)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
currymutton
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Wed 2 Nov - 04:25 (2016)    Post subject: [Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields Reply with quote

From what I read, it may not be helpful, due to the fact that

1. Take Santa Cruz and Gudalcanal scenairoes, you always conserve your fuel until you have something important that fly your planes up there, say protecting TRS while unloading, preserving your strike power, or sightings of enemy CV group

2. If the threat is gone or there is no significant target to protect, I would opt for not sending CAP up or pull down those still up in the air

3. But taking into account for LRCAP, the sheme may not work that well since LRCAP always uses up its endurance

4. Also, this scheme may not solve the problem of CAP having to land during night time, I think this is even a bigger concern to me.

USS Archerfish
Beta-testing

PostPosted: Tue 4 Apr - 00:32 (2017)    Post subject: [Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields Reply with quote

I'm ok with limited fuel as long as there are resupply options.  Those battles that don't, I think the amount of fuel should be increased to at least provide one day of flying. Otherwise the fighters available for flying CAP are worthless.  If you fly CAP you usually burn through the fuel in a half a day. If you sit, they get destroyed because you have not time to get them up to meet an incoming air strike. 
I

A good example of this in Milne Bay in Guadacanal. You're given about roughly 50 barrels of fuel about 8 fighters and 4 bombers. The only thing this is good for is searching.  There are not enough bombers to attack anything to do any real damage.  The only exception is if you happen to spot. CVE or CVL. Because of its location I get virtually no advance notice of an air strike. If I do, it's not enough time to send up a cap.  If I send up a CAP I waste fuel that is more useful for searching. The end result is the fighters  sit through out the whole game.  They become sitting duck fodder that I hope will take the hits instead of the bombers that are on the ground refueling for another search if I am attacked. In this case I'm better off having and automated AI search. 

The only way I see to resolve this is to give more fuel for those bases that don't get fuel resupply or allow fighter caps to get airborne more quickly. If my memory serves me correct, a fighter squadron (16 planes) could be fully airborne in 20 mins for an airfield and that had one runaway.  Maybe you could program a priority option for CAPs. This priority will prevent other planes from landing and other non fighters from taking off in order to expedite a CAP launch. Just a thought.  

Bladerunner
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 5 Apr - 16:51 (2017)    Post subject: [Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields Reply with quote

Indeed, fuel limits prevents to do everything with an airfield
You have to choose between search, strike and CAP

Search is not costly
Strike is for sure
CAP may be costly because planes will automatically repeat their mission and you have to remind to stop their mission manually. that is why I wanted to apply the repetitive mission to CAP. On limited airfield, this ill be deactivated; hence a CAP fighter fly only once until running out of fuel

Beware that on Guadalcanal trou have nice coast watchers warning you well in advance about incoming airstrikes. The way, you may align your CAP just in time and in good number 

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 08:18 (2017)    Post subject: [Done] CAP and fuel-limited airfields

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal Forum Index -> Topics -> New Features All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation